Within here lies the secret of the perfect margarita.
Except for the rare exception, homemade margaritas always surpass any ‘professionally’ mixed offering served in bar settings.
More often than not it’s because they pour crap tequila.
What’s the point of a drink that you need three of before the medicinal effects take hold.
Here is Running Fork’s favorite guide to the best margarita, refined by years of experience by the expert margarita mixers of Krewe d’Agave.
In a very larger shaker with ice mix:
- 3 parts 100% Blue Agave Tequila (there is no substitute)
- one part orange liqueur (not triple sec).
- We prefer Citronge or the newly discovered Combier- thank you David from The Wine Club in San Francisco for this suggestion)
- one to two parts fresh lime juice
- enough Agave Nectar to balance the fresh lime juice
Not to use a tired cliche (but then I will), a proper Krewe d’Agave margarita is alway shaken, never blended.
So put your back into it.
Shake like crazy to break up the ice into tiny chips and pour into a properly salted (personal choice) frozen glass.
Drink at a leisurely pace until thirst requires you to drain the remains of the glass and beg for more.
Repeat liberally. Sip responsibly
Laissez les bon temps rouler!